Gaslighting and love bombing have gained attention on social media recently. In light of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, we kindly invite you to take the time to familiarize yourself with these terms, as recognizing such forms of abuse may not always be straightforward until hindsight sets in.
Signs of gaslighting:
- You constantly second-guess yourself.
- You ask yourself, “Am I too sensitive?” multiple times a day.
- You often feel confused and even crazy.
- You’re always apologizing to your partner.
- You can’t understand why, with so many apparently good things in your life, you aren’t happier.
- You frequently make excuses for your partner’s behavior to friends and family.
- You find yourself withholding information from friends and family, so you don’t have to explain or make excuses.
- You know something is terribly wrong, but you can never quite express what it is, even to yourself.
- You start lying in order to avoid the put-downs and reality twists.
- You have trouble making simple decisions.
- You have the sense that you used to be a very different person – more confident, more fun-loving, more relaxed.
- You feel hopeless and joyless.
- You feel as though you can’t do anything right.
- You wonder if you are a “good enough” partner.
Love bombing looks different for every person, but it usually involves some form of:
- Excessive flattery and praise.
- Over-communication of their feelings for you.
- Showering you with unneeded/unwanted gifts.
- Early and intense talks about your future together.
- They give you needless gifts – unnecessary, unwanted, extravagant or over-the-top
- They’re in a rush to lock things down - quick DTR, pressure to move in together, get engaged/elope, have a baby together
- They’re always available and demanding of your attention
- They can’t take ‘no’ for an answer
- They like you better when you’re alone
- They over-communicate their love for you
- You feel overwhelmed, uneasy or off-balance
Firefly Survivor Advocacy (for Marion County only): 317-634-6341
Indiana DV Hotline: 800-332-7385
National DV Hotline: 800-799-7233
Be Well Indiana: Text LOVEIS to 225222