The Indiana Foster Care Tax Credit is a $2 million annual allocation of funding that allows for a 50% tax credit for contributions of up to $10,000 made to qualifying foster care organizations. Each fiscal year, beginning in July 2021 and ending in June 2025, there will be $2,000,000 available for the purpose of donating to an approved Foster Care Organization. The donations provide direct support to families and individuals in the foster care system.
These credits are available on a first-come first-serve basis. This is not a federal tax credit, and must be approved by the Indiana Department of Revenue.
To be eligible, the donor must:
- Pay Indiana taxes
- Donate to an eligible organization
- Claim their credit in the same taxable year that the donation was made.
- Submit your application to the Indiana Department of Revenue. This can be submitted via fax or by mail.
- Receive an approval letter from the Indiana Department of Revenue. The approval letter will be mailed to the address provided on the application.
- Make your monetary donation to Firefly. This donation must be made within 30 days of the dated approval letter.
- Firefly will provide proof of donation. Firefly will send a hard copy of the proof of donation as well as in email form within 24-48 hours of receiving donation.
- Submit Indiana Department of Revenue approval & Firefly proof of donation. These MUST BE mailed or faxed within 30 days of the dated letter.